Blumenthal Family Papers / Record Group 09
Title Blumenthal Family Papers
Accession Number RG-09
Extent 0.2 linear foot (1 box)
Provenance Sol Blumenthal
Sol Blumenthal was born August 23, 1912, in Frankfurt-am-Main, Germany. Growing up in Germany, he fostered his love of music through his academic studies and performances. Sol debuted as an opera singer in 1936, performing at Frankfurt-am-Main’s largest synagogue. During a performance, he met his wife Clare. The two married in June 1935.
After Kristallnacht, Sol was arrested and deported to Buchenwald. While detained, Clare worked to free her husband, speaking with influential officials and visiting numerous agencies. She was able to secure his release six months later. The couple found sponsors in England and immigrated to the U.K. before coming to the States in 1941.
Once the couple relocated, Sol finished his studies to become a cantor. The couple eventually settled in Richmond to be near their son, Benjamin. Sol died on January 13, 2004. He was preceded in death by Clare.
Restriction on Access No restriction Restriction on Use No restriction Language English
Preferred Citation Virginia Holocaust Museum, Record Group 09, Blumenthal Family Papers, [Folder #].
Scope and Content
The Blumenthal Family Papers consist of biographical materials and family photographs, as well as newspaper clippings, claims applications, and miscellaneous documents. Biographical materials include notes from interviews conducted with Sol Blumenthal and captioned scans. These materials describe Sol's experiences growing up and during the Holocaust. Photographs of the family include captioned images of Sol and his cousins (who perished in the Holocaust). Newspaper clippings included also describe Sol's life through two articles on him an done obituary. Claims applications consist of two applications for restitutions. Finally, miscellaneous documents consist of correspondences, a musical program, and some complied pictures and captions.
|1||2||Family photos genealogy|
- Blumenthal, Sol (b. August 23, 1912, d. January 13, 2004)
- Blumenthal, Cantor Sol (b. August 23, 1912, d. January 13, 2004)
- Blumenthal, Salo (b. August 23, 1912, d. January 13, 2004)
- Blumenthal, Clare (b. unknown, d. unknown)
- Bermann, Clare (b. unknown, d. unknown)
- Blumenthal, Else (b. September 2, 1924, d. unknown)
- Blumenthal, Clementine (b. March 19, 1923, d. unknown
- Mannheimer, Alma (b. June 23, 1908, d. unknown)
- Frankfurt-au-Main, Germany
- London, England
- Buchenwald (concentration camp)
- Conference on Jewish Materials Claims Against Germany, Inc.
- Holocaust Victim Assets Litigation